The WECHCPC conducts and participates in local community events and public forums, provides workshops to promote crime prevention and effective Community Policing, and with the help of other Community Policing Centres and the VPD, attends and assists with city-wide events. For current information on dates and times for these events, please check our News page.
In The Community
May 17 marks the day in 1990 when the World Health Organization finally removed homosexuality from its list of mental disorders. In 2005, it was declared the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, and Transphobia by the UN. Still, more than one-third of countries continue to criminalize same-sex relationships. People who identify as a gender or sexual minority continue to face prejudice, discrimination, stigma, hostility, and violence. They are denied legal protections, essential health care, civil and human rights, including a right to bodily autonomy when forced to go through medical treatment or needless surgery. You can find out more about this year’s theme here. WECHCPC will host a personal safety pop-up that day. Check out our News and Events page for the exact date, time, and location.
* From May to September, the WECHCPC conducts a monthly Bicycle Safety Campaign. One day a month the CPC erects a mobile office along a designated bicycle path to
- educate cyclists on the rules of the road
- provide safety information
- distribute bike route maps
- conduct bicycle engraving
On Saturday, June 3, we will be hosting our 25th Anniversary Open House! We invite our neighbours to drop by for tours, safety info and devices, bike registrations, Child Find IDs, visits from the VPD mounted and canine units, snacks and coffee, and more! Check back to our News & Events page for updates as we prepare for this exciting event!
For The Community
Volunteers and staff can contribute to local events in many ways. We staff barricades and assist with traffic and crowd control efforts for parades and street festivals, direct participants in city-wide runs, conduct All About Me Child ID clinics or the child friendly mini-POPAT obstacle course at your event, and conduct information sessions on general safety topics.
The WECHCPC supports the following local events:
- Annual Sports Day Festival; Lord Roberts Annex
- Vancouver Sun Run, BMO Marathon, Scotiabank Half Marathon
- Celebration of Light
- Parades: Chinese New Year, St Patrick’s Day, Pride, Santa Claus
- Strawberry Festival; West End Seniors Network
- Rockin’ in the Park; Coal Harbour Community Centre
If you would like the WECHCPC to conduct activities, host a table at your community event, or provide a safety presentation to your group, please call the office or e-mail. We will need a minimum of three weeks notice.