Youth Action Initiative
“We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future” – Franklin D Roosevelt
In the Youth Action Initiative Program, young people aged 16 and 17 join our adult volunteers for crime prevention and personal safety activities in the West End, Coal Harbour, and Stanley Park. Youth can participate in:
- Distracted Driving Campaigns – monitoring/recording driving infractions and reporting them to the Vancouver Police Department and ICBC
- Community Cleanup Events – recording and removing illegal dumping, littering and graffiti in the parks, residential and commercial areas, and in alleys
- Special Projects – work with the Vancouver Police to educate community members and visitors about theft and other crimes in the area
- Community Events – walk in parades, conduct Child Find fingerprinting, give away free merchandise at street fairs, time kids as they run the mini-POPAT, register bikes for Project 529
- and other seasonal activities
Youth in this program can also sign up for free workshops offered by the Community Policing Centre or the Vancouver Police, attend volunteer recognition events, and more. Your time here can also be used towards your high school graduation hours and/or post-secondary school applications.
Joining this program is easy and you don’t have to be interested in a policing career to be a volunteer. Visit our office at 1267 Davie Street with a parent/guardian to complete an application and on your 16th birthday you can start! It’s that simple.
Be a leader amongst your peers, develop new abilities, expand your resume, and gain life skills. JOIN US!