The WECHCPC conducts and participates in local community events and public forums, provides workshops to promote crime prevention and effective Community Policing, and with the help of other Community Policing Centres and the VPD, attends and assists with city-wide events. For current information on dates and times for these events, please check our News page.
In The Community
* May 25th is National Missing Children’s Day. On this day in 1979, a little boy named Etan Patz left his New York home to catch a bus to school, and was never seen again. He was six years old. Child Find Canada designated May 25th as Green Ribbon Day in honour of Ontario teen Kristen French to commemorate her abduction and subsequent murder. She was 15 years old. To honour these victims, the WECHCPC conducts a free ‘All About Me’ ID clinic on the Friday closest to May 25th. We create Child Find ID Booklets, offer free safety information to parents, and provide the children with a fun and creative safety workshop. Check out our News and Events page for the exact date, time, and location.
* From May to September, the WECHCPC conducts a monthly Bicycle Safety Campaign. One day a month the CPC erects a mobile office along a designated bicycle path to
- educate cyclists on the rules of the road
- provide safety information
- distribute bike route maps
- conduct bicycle engraving
* The last Saturday of September has been designated Community Policing Day. On this day, the CPC invites members of the community to tour the office, witness CPC programming, enter draws for prizes, interact with and ask questions to various VPD squad members and CPC staff, and enjoy snacks and coffee.
For The Community
Volunteers and staff can contribute to local events in many ways. We staff barricades and assist with traffic and crowd control efforts for parades and street festivals, direct participants in city-wide runs, conduct All About Me Child ID clinics or the child friendly mini-POPAT obstacle course at your event, and conduct information sessions on general safety topics.
The WECHCPC supports the following local events:
- Annual Sports Day Festival; Lord Roberts Annex
- Car-Free Day; West End
- Vancouver Sun Run, BMO Marathon, Scotiabank Half Marathon
- Celebration of Light
- Parades: Chinese New Year, St Patrick’s Day, Pride, Santa Claus
- Strawberry Festival; West End Seniors Network
- West End Cultural Festival; Gordon Neighbourhood House
- Rockin’ in the Park; Coal Harbour Community Centre
If you would like the WECHCPC to conduct activities or host a table at your community event, please call the office or e-mail. We will need a minimum of three weeks notice.